Euro funding is needed to help tackle Ely junction bottleneck says Euro MP Richard Howitt
- Credit: Archant
A call to stay in Europe came to Ely when Euro MP Richard Howitt joined the city’s Labour Party.
The Cambridgeshire MEP joined local activists with bright red posters and leaflets, emblazoned with the words Vote Remain in a bid to speak about his hopes for remaining part of the union.
Chair of the local Labour Party Alex Mayer said: “We’re delighted to welcome Richard back to Ely. This referendum campaign is about prices in the supermarkets, jobs and security.
“There is plenty of campaigning going on but the Labour Party has got a unique message to give out.
“The EU has helped secure workers’ rights including the right to holiday pay, paid maternity and paternity leave, anti-discrimination laws, equal pay and protection for agency workers.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Howitt said that EU funding was vital to tackle the Ely junction bottleneck and said Britain would be left facing an uncertain future if we left the EU .
Remaining in was vital for businesses in Cambridgeshire, he said.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment