EURO 2009: Full list of the 88 candidates nominated for the seven seats in East of England.
EIGHTY eight candidates – including a lone independent- have declared themselves as candidates in next month s European elections for the Eastern region. There are seven seats up for grabs in the eastern region and the full list of candidates has now been
EIGHTY eight candidates - including a lone independent- have declared themselves as candidates in next month's European elections for the Eastern region.
There are seven seats up for grabs in the eastern region and the full list of candidates has now been published.
The elections will take place on Thursday June 4 to choose the UK's 72 MEPs. The number of MEPs has been reduced from the current 78 as a result of the enlargement of the EU. Elections to the European Parliament are held every five years. The European Parliament was directly elected for the first time in 1979.
Since 1999 voters in Britain have elected MEPs under a proportional representation system. The European Parliamentary Elections Act of that year introduced a regional list system with seats allocated to parties in proportion to their share of the vote.
You may also want to watch:
The UK is divided into 12 electoral regions with between three and ten MEPs representing each region.
The nine English regions will elect 59 MEPs (Scotland will elect six MEPs and Wales four MEPs. In Northern Ireland three MEPs are elected under its own system of proportional representation.
- 1 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- 4 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 5 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 6 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 7 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 8 Motorcycle firm gearing up to show off lockdown project
- 9 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 10 COLUMN: 'Expansion' the future for Ely rowing club
All 736 MEPs in the European Parliament will be elected under some form of proportional representation.
Here's the full list of candidates for the east: