EURO 2009: Full list of the 88 candidates nominated for the seven seats in East of England.
EIGHTY eight candidates – including a lone independent- have declared themselves as candidates in next month s European elections for the Eastern region. There are seven seats up for grabs in the eastern region and the full list of candidates has now been
EIGHTY eight candidates - including a lone independent- have declared themselves as candidates in next month's European elections for the Eastern region.
There are seven seats up for grabs in the eastern region and the full list of candidates has now been published.
The elections will take place on Thursday June 4 to choose the UK's 72 MEPs. The number of MEPs has been reduced from the current 78 as a result of the enlargement of the EU. Elections to the European Parliament are held every five years. The European Parliament was directly elected for the first time in 1979.
Since 1999 voters in Britain have elected MEPs under a proportional representation system. The European Parliamentary Elections Act of that year introduced a regional list system with seats allocated to parties in proportion to their share of the vote.
The UK is divided into 12 electoral regions with between three and ten MEPs representing each region.
The nine English regions will elect 59 MEPs (Scotland will elect six MEPs and Wales four MEPs. In Northern Ireland three MEPs are elected under its own system of proportional representation.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 3 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 4 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 5 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 6 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 7 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 8 Man jealous of ex-wife's new relationship burnt down house
- 9 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 10 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
All 736 MEPs in the European Parliament will be elected under some form of proportional representation.
Here's the full list of candidates for the east: