Entries Pouring In For Grunty Fen Half Marathon
ENTRIES have been pouring in for this year s Grunty Fen Half Marathon which takes place on September 14. The 13.1 mile road race, which incorporates the Cambridgeshire County Championships, is probably the largest sporting mass participation event in the
ENTRIES have been pouring in for this year's Grunty Fen Half Marathon which takes place on September 14. The 13.1 mile road race, which incorporates the Cambridgeshire County Championships, is probably the largest sporting mass participation event in the Ely area.
The event starts and finishes at Witchford Village College, with two loops of the college and surrounding countryside. The entrants will run down Main Street making the race an ideal spectators event.
The race includes a wheelchair category and there is also a One Mile Fun Run at the village college which is open to anyone at the cost of £2.
Ely mayor, Shelia Friend-Smith, will start the race and also present the prizes at the end.
You may also want to watch:
Race organisers have already received more than 400 entries, but expect the final number to be around 700. Entries can still be accepted on-line, but the deadline is September 8.
Race start times:
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 7 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 8 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
10.15am: wheelchair half marathon.
10.30am: main half marathon race.
10.45am: one mile fun run.
A £50 bonus is offered for anyone who sets a new course record. Current course records are: Men - Wilfred Taragon (Keyna) 1:08:04 in 2002. Women: Ellen Leggate (Cambridge & Coleridge AC) 1:19:33 in 2002.
The event is being staged by the Ely Runners Club. If you want to enter the race, go to: www.elyrunners.co.uk for more details.