End of the line for Standen’s Doug after 47 years service
- Credit: Archant
Long-serving Doug Carter waved goodbye to colleagues at Standen Engineering today (Tuesday) after more than 47 years service.
Mr Carter started at the firm, based in Angel Drove, Ely, on September 1, 1967, as a trainee draftsmen, drawing up designs for items for the company’s engineers to turn into products.
Over the years, he worked his way through the ranks, gaining experience in health and safety, repairs and apprenticeship training before finishing up as a director.
Mr Carter, 64, enjoyed a special presentation and lunch with colleagues and fellow directors last week to mark his retirement.
Managing director at Standen, Owen Blake, described Doug as “a selfless colleague and a real man of the community”.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Doug has recently bought a new house so there will be plenty of work to keep him occupied in his retirement.”
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Everything you need to know about Mad Hatters eco festival
- 3 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 4 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 5 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 6 Second World War and SAS hero remembered with new street signs
- 7 Footballer hopes Wembley 'dream' can bolster Cambridge career
- 8 Election 2021: Counting gets under way in East Cambridgeshire
- 9 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 10 Nostalgic throwback to places and faces of Ely's past