End of the line for Standen’s Doug after 47 years service
- Credit: Archant
Long-serving Doug Carter waved goodbye to colleagues at Standen Engineering today (Tuesday) after more than 47 years service.
Mr Carter started at the firm, based in Angel Drove, Ely, on September 1, 1967, as a trainee draftsmen, drawing up designs for items for the company’s engineers to turn into products.
Over the years, he worked his way through the ranks, gaining experience in health and safety, repairs and apprenticeship training before finishing up as a director.
Mr Carter, 64, enjoyed a special presentation and lunch with colleagues and fellow directors last week to mark his retirement.
Managing director at Standen, Owen Blake, described Doug as “a selfless colleague and a real man of the community”.
He added: “Doug has recently bought a new house so there will be plenty of work to keep him occupied in his retirement.”
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 3 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 10 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy