Postman crowned number 1 buyer of Sainsbury’s bacon sandwiches
- Credit: Gav Fisher
A hard-working postman of 23 years has been crowned the ‘number one buyer’ of bacon and tomato ketchup sandwiches in Ely.
Gav Fisher received his virtual award from the city’s Sainsbury’s supermarket after he was recorded as the biggest buyer of the meal deal snack in 2020.
"I didn’t realise I had that many,” said Mr Fisher after it was revealed he snapped up the most sarnies out of every single shopper in Ely last year.
He said: “I buy any sandwich that doesn’t have lettuce in to save taking it out – this is the strangest thing that’s ever happened to me.”
Mr Fisher has even gone as far as changing his Twitter biography to “#1 buyer of bacon and tomato sauce sarnies in Ely – Sainsbury's 2020”.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m basically a celebrity now,” he joked. “I expect the Ely Standard will be wanting an interview with me soon,” he said before we got in touch.
The Nectar Points app records purchases throughout the year and shoppers are able to check what they bought during 2020.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
“I know the number 3 prawn cocktail crisps guy too,” Mr Fisher confessed.