Ely zebra crossing campaign nearing success
A CAMPAIGN to raise funds for a zebra crossing on a busy Ely road is within touching distance of reaching its target.
The Friends of the Lantern School, Ely College and Harlequin Childcare nursery joined forces to raise the �4,300 needed for the new crossing in Downham Road, earlier this year.
Hundreds of children cross the road to get school every day and confusion often reigns over who has the right of way at the raised crossing points, resulting in dozes of near misses and prompting parents to launch a campaign.
Now, with Christmas approaching, the groups believe they will have the funding in place in time for the new year, with a crossing finally being installed by the spring.
Charlotte Brady, who has two children at the Lantern School, said: “The response and fundraising have been very positive, especially among the families that live in Downham Road.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone has worked hard to get behind it and Ely College has also been very positive as well. With a little more support in the run up to Christmas we are confident we can reach our target.”
The Friends of the Lantern School are holding a Christmas Fair on Saturday, December 1, from 11am-5pm at the school, in Nene Road, Ely.
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 3 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 4 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
There will be hand-made gifts and cards, pottery, trees and wreaths, competitions and much more to enjoy on the day. Entry is free.