Ely zebra crossing campaign nearing success
A CAMPAIGN to raise funds for a zebra crossing on a busy Ely road is within touching distance of reaching its target.
The Friends of the Lantern School, Ely College and Harlequin Childcare nursery joined forces to raise the �4,300 needed for the new crossing in Downham Road, earlier this year.
Hundreds of children cross the road to get school every day and confusion often reigns over who has the right of way at the raised crossing points, resulting in dozes of near misses and prompting parents to launch a campaign.
Now, with Christmas approaching, the groups believe they will have the funding in place in time for the new year, with a crossing finally being installed by the spring.
Charlotte Brady, who has two children at the Lantern School, said: “The response and fundraising have been very positive, especially among the families that live in Downham Road.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone has worked hard to get behind it and Ely College has also been very positive as well. With a little more support in the run up to Christmas we are confident we can reach our target.”
The Friends of the Lantern School are holding a Christmas Fair on Saturday, December 1, from 11am-5pm at the school, in Nene Road, Ely.
- 1 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 2 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 9 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
There will be hand-made gifts and cards, pottery, trees and wreaths, competitions and much more to enjoy on the day. Entry is free.