Ely volunteer Nicole in charity takeover
ELY volunteer Nicole Wilson was one of the Meningitis Trust’s Young Ambassadors who took over the running of the organisation for a day.
The 21-year-old was among nine of the trust’s 12 Young Ambassadors, who were put in charge of a range of the trust’s activities at the Takeover Day at its head office in Stroud, Gloucestershire.
Nicole said: “It’s great to be able to play such a valuable role in the running of the trust. My experience of meningitis means I’m really keen to be involved and make sure the Trust is providing the best support it can for my age group.
“The Takeover Day has been brilliant fun, but it also has a serious purpose and it’s good to work together and help shape the Trust’s future.”
Nicole was diagnosed with Meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia at the age of 16, while on holiday in Cyprus.
You may also want to watch:
After spending three weeks in hospital, she was flown back to the UK in an air ambulance and, as a result, had to have both legs below the knee amputated as well as the tips of her fingers and one thumb.
She also suffered renal failure and has been through a kidney transplant operation.
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Tributes paid to school matron who died from Covid-19
- 3 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 6 Health scare inspired slimmer’s incredible 10 stone weight loss
- 7 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 8 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 9 Road closed and residents without water due to burst water main
- 10 Green light for off-licence despite objections
Anne Currie, director of fundraising and community at the trust, added: “Our Young Ambassadors are a proper group with real influence on the way we carry out our work – we’re one of the few national charities to involve young people in such a direct way. “Their energy and enthusiasm is a real force for good on our activities and they are a constant inspiration to everyone in the trust on why what we do matters so much.”
You can find out more on the Young Ambassadors and their individual stories at www.meningitis-trust.org/ about-us/meet-the-team/young-ambassadors/