Ely trio raise £500 for Cancer Research UK in Monte Carlo or Bust challenge
- Credit: Archant
A trio from Ely raised more than £500 for Cancer Research UK by travelling 2,000 miles in the Monte Carlo or Bust Banger Rally.
Paul Firman, along with his daughter Sherryn and son in law James, was tasked with buying a car for no more than £300, dressing it up and then driving to Monte Carlo and back.
Team manager Paul bought a VW Golf for £300 and then set about getting it ready before naming it Bloodmobile.
“On July 21 we set off from Ely to get to St Quentin in France by that evening to register and check in for the event.
“The rally down to Monte Carlo was over three days with various challenges en route.
You may also want to watch:
“It took us through France, Switzerland, Italy and finally Monte Carlo. We arrived in Monte Carlo on July 24 – we had made it!
“Then we had the drive back home the following day – in total we had travelled around 2,000 miles.”
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 7 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 8 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 9 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Mr Firman thanked the team’s sponsors FLI Water Bedford, Winthorpe Ltd Ely, Gem Tyres Ely and CFS Cambridge.
Donations can still be made on the JustGiving website: search Paul Firman.