Closure date announced for Mr Simms sweet shop in Ely
- Credit: Archant
The popular Mr Simms sweet shop in Ely will close at the end of this month with shoppers invited to take part in a last day photo.
It was announced at the start of August that the store in High Street would be shutting their doors due to “business rates and fading footfall”.
In a post on Facebook yesterday (August 9) it said that August 31 would be their last day.
It read: “Mr Simms Ely will close at 5.30pm on Friday August 31.
“We’ve arranged an end-of-term photo to be taken outside the shop at 5.45pm and hope you’ll be able to join us.
You may also want to watch:
“Please support your local independent retailer.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
David Learner, owner and manager, said the closure came with “great sadness” and that the past five years had been “truly extraordinary”.
City of Ely Council launched a survey to find out how they could better support businesses earlier this week.