Ely superstore helping tackle loneliness this Christmas
- Credit: Archant
The Ely branch of Waitrose has launched a new initiative to help support elderly, homeless and vulnerable people in East Cambs this Christmas.
The retailer, based in Brays Lane, will help provide Christmas lunch events for people who would otherwise be on their own on Christmas Day.
Waitrose is asking organisers of local Christmas dinner events to get in touch with Ely staff member Emily Cousins, where they can apply for support from the retailer. The deadline for requests is November 15.
The support is aimed at cutting the number of people who are at home alone on Christmas Day.
Waitrose asking its customers to think of people in their community who might be lonely this Christmas and make small actions that might make a big difference
You may also want to watch:
Each of the retailer’s 300 shops has an allocation of money and volunteering time to put towards community Christmas dinner events.
Waitrose community manager Tina Varns, said: “This new isolation campaign will complement the great work our shops are already doing in their local communities - and we’re excited about the difference it will make to so many people.”
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 5 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 6 Fight with weapons outside gym leaves two people seriously injured
- 7 Letter: Why not use Ely Cathedral as a vaccination centre?
- 8 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
For more information, contact Emily Cousins at Waitrose in Ely on
01353 668800 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org