Ely superstore helping tackle loneliness this Christmas
- Credit: Archant
The Ely branch of Waitrose has launched a new initiative to help support elderly, homeless and vulnerable people in East Cambs this Christmas.
The retailer, based in Brays Lane, will help provide Christmas lunch events for people who would otherwise be on their own on Christmas Day.
Waitrose is asking organisers of local Christmas dinner events to get in touch with Ely staff member Emily Cousins, where they can apply for support from the retailer. The deadline for requests is November 15.
The support is aimed at cutting the number of people who are at home alone on Christmas Day.
Waitrose asking its customers to think of people in their community who might be lonely this Christmas and make small actions that might make a big difference
You may also want to watch:
Each of the retailer’s 300 shops has an allocation of money and volunteering time to put towards community Christmas dinner events.
Waitrose community manager Tina Varns, said: “This new isolation campaign will complement the great work our shops are already doing in their local communities - and we’re excited about the difference it will make to so many people.”
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 6 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
- 9 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
For more information, contact Emily Cousins at Waitrose in Ely on
01353 668800 or e-mail email@example.com