Ely superstore helping tackle loneliness this Christmas
- Credit: Archant
The Ely branch of Waitrose has launched a new initiative to help support elderly, homeless and vulnerable people in East Cambs this Christmas.
The retailer, based in Brays Lane, will help provide Christmas lunch events for people who would otherwise be on their own on Christmas Day.
Waitrose is asking organisers of local Christmas dinner events to get in touch with Ely staff member Emily Cousins, where they can apply for support from the retailer. The deadline for requests is November 15.
The support is aimed at cutting the number of people who are at home alone on Christmas Day.
Waitrose asking its customers to think of people in their community who might be lonely this Christmas and make small actions that might make a big difference
Each of the retailer’s 300 shops has an allocation of money and volunteering time to put towards community Christmas dinner events.
Waitrose community manager Tina Varns, said: “This new isolation campaign will complement the great work our shops are already doing in their local communities - and we’re excited about the difference it will make to so many people.”
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 5 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 6 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 7 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
- 8 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 9 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 10 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
For more information, contact Emily Cousins at Waitrose in Ely on
01353 668800 or e-mail email@example.com