Ely Stroke Club Awarded �10,000 National Lottery Grant
THE Ely District Stoke Club has received a huge boost after being awarded �10,000 by the National Lottery. The club, which is based on St Mary s Street in Ely, received the money as a part of the National Lottery s Awards for All initiative which has seen
THE Ely District Stoke Club has received a huge boost after being awarded �10,000 by the National Lottery.
The club, which is based on St Mary's Street in Ely, received the money as a part of the National Lottery's Awards for All initiative which has seen more than �300,000 handed out to community groups across East Anglia.
Club president Paula Gower, said: "We were absolutely delighted when we heard we were going to be getting a grant, it was wonderful news.
"The money will really help us open out the club to lots of new people and we can't wait to celebrate with all our members who haven't heard the news yet."
You may also want to watch:
The club, which runs fortnightly at Bedford House, currently has 37 members who are brought into Ely using the Dial-a-ride service from villages across the district. The club run bingo nights and guest speakers for the members as well as organising day trips to the coast.
Last year, the members celebrated 25 years of the club and Mrs Gower expects the money will help the club grow into the future, "It costs us about �4000 a year just in travel so with the money the Lottery have given us we can focus more now on getting more people involved with the club and hopefully we can really grow," she said.
- 1 Holiday park 'honoured' to host Cambridge Boat Race teams
- 2 Cambridgeshire mourns death of HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh
- 3 Youngsters finally get their wish thanks to new goalposts
- 4 Museum shares historical photos of Ely Market and its royal visitors
- 5 'Lot wrong' but opponents admit concrete plant expansion defeat
- 6 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely
- 7 Rats spotted around overflowing bins in Ely
- 8 'Cash strapped' force picks up bill for 120 Boat Race police
- 9 Mum-of-two battling arthritis tackles year-long workout test
- 10 12 exciting new businesses to discover when lockdown restrictions ease
Pic cap: From right to left are: chairman of the group, Irene Coulson; secretary and treasurer Paula Gower and vice-chairman Lee Johnson.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.