Ely Stroke Club Awarded �10,000 National Lottery Grant
THE Ely District Stoke Club has received a huge boost after being awarded �10,000 by the National Lottery. The club, which is based on St Mary s Street in Ely, received the money as a part of the National Lottery s Awards for All initiative which has seen
THE Ely District Stoke Club has received a huge boost after being awarded �10,000 by the National Lottery.
The club, which is based on St Mary's Street in Ely, received the money as a part of the National Lottery's Awards for All initiative which has seen more than �300,000 handed out to community groups across East Anglia.
Club president Paula Gower, said: "We were absolutely delighted when we heard we were going to be getting a grant, it was wonderful news.
"The money will really help us open out the club to lots of new people and we can't wait to celebrate with all our members who haven't heard the news yet."
The club, which runs fortnightly at Bedford House, currently has 37 members who are brought into Ely using the Dial-a-ride service from villages across the district. The club run bingo nights and guest speakers for the members as well as organising day trips to the coast.
Last year, the members celebrated 25 years of the club and Mrs Gower expects the money will help the club grow into the future, "It costs us about �4000 a year just in travel so with the money the Lottery have given us we can focus more now on getting more people involved with the club and hopefully we can really grow," she said.
- 1 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 4 Petition launched to save village pub
- 5 Unearthed treasures to be displayed outside British Museum for first time
- 6 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 7 Izzy, 16, bids to kickstart female football revolution with new team
- 8 Gay tweet pastor claims 'constructive dismissal' as school caretaker
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
Pic cap: From right to left are: chairman of the group, Irene Coulson; secretary and treasurer Paula Gower and vice-chairman Lee Johnson.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.