Ely Standard Team Will Be Messing About on the Water At Aquafest
THE annual Aquafest river festival is taking place on July 6 and the Ely Standard has entered the raft race yet again. This year the Ely Standard team will be paddling like crazy to the finish line in a raft supplied by the Denver Cruising Club and spons
THE annual Aquafest river festival is taking place on July 6 and the Ely Standard has entered the raft race yet again.
This year the Ely Standard team will be paddling like crazy to the finish line in a raft supplied by the Denver Cruising Club and sponsored and customised by The Lazy Otter restaurant, bar and marina on Cambridge Road, Stretham. Darren and John Gough, proprietors of the Lazy Otter, are working hard to make sure the craft looks good, in Ely Standard blue, and is in with a good chance of winning - notwithstanding the competence of its crew, of course.
The first Sunday in July has, for the last 26 years, been the regular date when Aquafest is held in Ely, sponsored, organised and run by the Rotary Club of Ely.
The event takes place around Lavender Green and Jubilee Gardens in Ely and features a fun filled programme for all the family. Any profit made will be used to help local charities. The Rotary Club of Ely-Hereward has responsibility for the stalls and events run on Jubilee Gardens, whilst the Rotary Club of Ely will be responsible for Lavender Green.
You may also want to watch:
The fun starts at 11am and programme throughout the day will be concentrating on local talent with acts by: Feathers School of Dance, Octagon Dance Studio, Ely Samba Band, The Carolines-Line Dancing, Viva Youth Group, and many more. Star Radio is having a competition to find a 'Song for Ely' and will be broadcasting throughout the day.
The usual Fun Fair and Extreme Bungee will also be there together with an array of stalls.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
Aquafest is Ely's premier community event and this year features a Grand Raffle and SpecSavers Balloon Race. Sanctuary Hereward Housing will provide amusement for the kids on Jubilee Gardens (climbing wall, bouncy castle, pie eating contest, scavenger hunt, dunking booth) and Starbucks Coffee will run a coffee station and make a donation for Rotary local charities.
FREE ADMISSION to both sites.
Pic cap: The Ely Standard's Louise Mason gets her first glimpse of the aluminium raft she will help pilot down the river Ouse in Ely on July 6, flanked by Darren Gough, left, and John Gough who are sponsoring and customising the craft.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE.