Ely Standard reader captures the moment lorry hit barrier and caused road and rail chaos in the city today
- Credit: Archant
Road and rail commuters were delayed today after lorry failed to clear a crossing at Ely today and became stuck.
Services into and out of Ely were put back and road users forced to either wait or find alternative routes.
No one was hurt but it took some time for the road – and rail – network to be restored.
“My daughter had to get off the school bus and walk from Stuntney,” one parent told an Ely Facebook group.
Another reported seeing the queues and drove a different route home – adding extra time to the journey.
“It took me one hour and 20 minutes to get to Ely from Soham,” wrote another. “My poor daughter didn’t have a key and was sitting by the front door when I got home. So annoying.”
Another insisted the driver didn’t ‘over shoot’ the crossing.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 5 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 6 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 7 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
“He tried to cross without there being sufficient space for his vehicle on the far side,” he said.
Trains were back to normal by early evening – travellers from Peterborough said this evening they were expecting delays but relieved the line and service was fully back to normal.