Ely Standard reader captures the moment lorry hit barrier and caused road and rail chaos in the city today
- Credit: Archant
Road and rail commuters were delayed today after lorry failed to clear a crossing at Ely today and became stuck.
Services into and out of Ely were put back and road users forced to either wait or find alternative routes.
No one was hurt but it took some time for the road – and rail – network to be restored.
“My daughter had to get off the school bus and walk from Stuntney,” one parent told an Ely Facebook group.
Another reported seeing the queues and drove a different route home – adding extra time to the journey.
You may also want to watch:
“It took me one hour and 20 minutes to get to Ely from Soham,” wrote another. “My poor daughter didn’t have a key and was sitting by the front door when I got home. So annoying.”
Another insisted the driver didn’t ‘over shoot’ the crossing.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
“He tried to cross without there being sufficient space for his vehicle on the far side,” he said.
Trains were back to normal by early evening – travellers from Peterborough said this evening they were expecting delays but relieved the line and service was fully back to normal.