Ely Southern Bypass walkway opens in time to beat the blues on Wednesday January 23
- Credit: Archant
Ely Southern Bypass walkway will be open in time to beat the blues on Wednesday (January 23).
The new bypass opened to traffic at the end of last year and, since then, Cambridgeshire County Council contractors VolkerFitzpatrick have been continuing to work on the walkway.
The separate walkway linking Fen Rivers Way and Ouse Valley Way footpaths will provide a new walking route with views of Ely and the cathedral from the Fen.
Cllr Ian Bates, chairman of the economy and environment committee, said: “I am delighted that the final piece of the jigsaw to Ely’s new bypass is complete and people can start to enjoy those nice New Year walks.
“Ely Southern Bypass opened to traffic in October and has been a huge success, solving long-standing traffic problems and reducing journey times for drivers.
You may also want to watch:
“The opening of the walkway will benefit many residents and visitors in Ely.
“The public can admire views of Ely Cathedral and the surrounding landscape from an exceptional structure that links existing public rights of way along the east and west flood bunds of the River Ouse.”
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 3 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 4 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 5 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 6 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 7 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 8 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 9 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
- 10 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
Mayor James Palmer said: “The exceptional design of this bypass means that any fears there may have been over the impact on the setting of Ely Cathedral within its unique landscape I think were overstated.
“In fact what we now have is a walkway that offers stunning views of one the jewels in Cambridgeshire’s crown, which can now be enjoyed and experienced by more people.”
In total, around 252 tonnes of steel and 25 tonnes of sustainable timber have been used for the walkway. It also features a stainless steel handrail that is 380m in length.
Ely Southern Bypass is a 1.7km single carriageway with a viaduct crossing the Great Ouse and a bridge over two railway lines. It connects the A142 at Angel Drove to Stuntney Causeway.
The underpass work, to improve access for pedestrians and cyclists, continues and will be finished by the end of February.
There has been a delay with the work due to issues with unexpected utility pipes under the road, drainage complications and the manufacture of the over-height vehicle detection signs which, until installed, the underpass cannot safely open.