Ely, Soham and Littleport to celebrate Small Business Saturday with festive feast of events
- Credit: Archant
East Cambridgeshire is set to embrace Small Business Saturday with key Christmas-themed events.
Ely, Soham and Littleport have signed up to take part in the national celebration which is held annually on the first Saturday in December with the aim of promoting small independent shops during the festive period.
Soham has decided to re-launch its popular ‘Spot the Alien’ window competition to help increase footfall into the town centre.
The competition begins on Saturday December 3 and will run for two weeks with one winner receiving the prize of a hamper donated by local businesses.
Littleport Town Team is holding their annual Celebrate Christmas event on Small Business Saturday and activities include Father Christmas at Littleport Library, a Christmas fair at St George’s Church and a shop window star trail.
Adams Community Market will be open as usual, selling a range of festive goodies and musical entertainment and side stalls around the Christmas tree are also planned.
In Ely, the Christmas lights switch on marks the start of a week-long social media campaign on Visit Ely’s Facebook page, featuring competitions, quizzes and promotions.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 6 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Tracey Harding, project lead for all of the district’s town teams on behalf of East Cambridgeshire District Council, said: “I am delighted that all three towns will be playing a part in Small Business Saturday this year and that we have three completely different promotions running.
“This is an excellent initiative that will raise awareness of our fabulous town centres and all that they have to offer particularly at this festive time of year.”