Man in his 40s arrested on suspicion of rape in connection with alleged ‘serious sexual assault’ near Ely Cathedral
- Credit: Archant
A man in his 40s has been arrested on suspicion of rape in connection with the alleged “serious sexual assault” near Ely Cathedral.
The incident happened yesterday morning (Monday, August 6) and the man was booked into custody that evening.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Constabulary said: “A man in his 40s has been arrested on suspicion of rape in connection with a serious sexual assault near the cathedral in Ely.
“He is currently being booked into custody.”
A major investigation went under way in the city as police investigated what they describe as a “serious sexual assault” near the cathedral.
You may also want to watch:
Onlookers were being turned away and police officers who cordoned off part of the grounds in the Steeple Row area.
The police spokesman confirmed that officers are “investigating to establish what happened.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“We were called at just gone 1am [on Monday, August 6] with reports of a serious sexual assault near the cathedral in Ely.”