Ely Scouts brave the temperatures for all-action winter camp
- Credit: Archant
Scouts and Explorer Scouts from across Ely braved the soggy weather to spend the weekend under canvas at Tolmers Scout Centre in Hertfordshire.
The 20 Scouts and Explorers joined up with more than 1,000 others from around the country to enjoy a weekend of activities such as archery, climbing, fairground rides, laser tag and a gyroscopic swing.
Luckily, the snow which had been forecast for the area of the weekend didn’t materialise but after weeks of heavy rain, the campsite was awash with mud and water to keep the Scouts amused.
Scout leader Wayne Braybrook said: “This is the first time we’ve taken the Scouts and Explorer Scouts on this type of camp and they loved it.
“It’s a shame we didn’t get to experience snow while we were there, but the activities and the amount of mud on the site kept them amused for hours. We’ll definitely be making this an annual event.”
There are a number of vacancies around Ely at the moment for all sorts of roles within Scouting, both working with the young people and in roles such as fundraising and supporting local groups with administration.
To find out more about how you can help Scouting in Ely, visit www.elydistrictscouts.co.uk/volunteer
- 1 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 2 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 8 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 9 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series