Schools plan to reopen despite pressure to stay shut
- Credit: GETTY IMAGES/ISTOCK PHOTO
It's business as usual for many schools across Ely as they plan to open as normal this week despite fears of a rise in Covid-19 cases across the country.
King's Ely, Isle of Ely Primary School, Spring Meadow Infant & Nursery School are among those remaining open in the Ely area.
Meanwhile, Highfield Academy is officially opening on Thursday, to allow for two extra staff training days.
The school's headteacher confirmed that letters have been sent out to parents.
And Soham Village College will be open to key worker/vulnerable children this week, before welcoming Year 11 back from next week.
We are awaiting confirmation on whether Ely St Mary’s Church of England Junior School will be open or closed.
Today, Cambridgeshire County Council issued advice to schools after trade unions recommended members not to attend due to safety concerns over the Covid-19 pandemic.
It comes after the council reiterated the phased return of secondary school pupils prior to a full return from January 18.
It comes after the National Education Union (NEU) advised members it would not be safe to return to classrooms today.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
That led to many schools taking the decision to keep their doors shut, with many saying they could not guarantee safety due to staff shortages.
The increased rates of the new Covid-19 variant are among the concerns.
Are you sending your children to school? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org