Ely schoolboy raises hundreds for Magpas in a triathlon
- Credit: Archant
A six year-old Ely schoolboy raised almost £800 for charity by getting involved in a sporting sponsorship event.
Xander Brown presented a cheque for £775 to MAGPAS.
At The Ely Hereward Rotary Club meeting the youngster, accompanied by his mum Michelle, presented a cheque to Emma Sanders of MAGPAS, after which Emma gave an illustrated talk on the charity’s history and current operations.
The money presented was raised at the club’s Ouse Washes Experience event, at which Xander was a major fund raiser through sponsorship, and by far the youngest entrant.
At the same meeting his mum Michelle was made an honorary member of the club in recognition of her support at fund raising events.
You may also want to watch:
The next Ouse washes Experience takes place on Sunday September 20 with a range of options for the triathlon event.
- 1 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 2 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 8 Matt’s 46-day charity cycle from Burwell to Istanbul raises over £2,000
- 9 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed