Ely’s Women Institutes join to mark 100th anniversary of the national organisation
- Credit: Archant
Ely City Women’s Institute have marked this month’s milestone anniversary of the organisation - the 100th birthday of the WI of England and Wales.
The city branch celebrated with a meal during which they cut a special commemorative cake. The meal was produced and served by Sunflower Catering.
They were joined by guests Val Ware, President of The Isle Federation, the Mayor Lis Every and Marjory Cooper a past President. Elisabeth Bradley who was the first speaker on the evening the branch was formed 31 years ago, gave an after dinner talk.
On Wednesday (September 16) members of Ely City and Ely Northwold WIs met in Jubilee Gardens to watch both Presidents, Yvonne and Sharon, unveil a plaque by a tree planted to celebrate 100 years of the WI.
They were joined by guests Sheila Friend-Smith and Alison Arnold. Everyone then enjoyed coffee and cakes at The Almonry.
You may also want to watch:
Next month’s meeting will be on October 12 when it is hoped to have a presentation by Shropshire’s of Barway. Visitors will be most welcome. For further information contact Yvonne on 01353-663787.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Heroin dealer kept machete at home