Ely’s Women Institutes join to mark 100th anniversary of the national organisation
- Credit: Archant
Ely City Women’s Institute have marked this month’s milestone anniversary of the organisation - the 100th birthday of the WI of England and Wales.
The city branch celebrated with a meal during which they cut a special commemorative cake. The meal was produced and served by Sunflower Catering.
They were joined by guests Val Ware, President of The Isle Federation, the Mayor Lis Every and Marjory Cooper a past President. Elisabeth Bradley who was the first speaker on the evening the branch was formed 31 years ago, gave an after dinner talk.
On Wednesday (September 16) members of Ely City and Ely Northwold WIs met in Jubilee Gardens to watch both Presidents, Yvonne and Sharon, unveil a plaque by a tree planted to celebrate 100 years of the WI.
They were joined by guests Sheila Friend-Smith and Alison Arnold. Everyone then enjoyed coffee and cakes at The Almonry.
You may also want to watch:
Next month’s meeting will be on October 12 when it is hoped to have a presentation by Shropshire’s of Barway. Visitors will be most welcome. For further information contact Yvonne on 01353-663787.
- 1 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 Friendship and dating agency gets £114,000 funding boost
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Campaigning for those excluded from government Covid support
- 9 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 10 Grants available for organisations in Ely