Ely’s Sing! Choirs visit Ribe, Denmark for five days of music
- Credit: Archant
More than sixty Sing! Choirs vocalists boarded a plane to Ribe in Denmark, which is twinned with Ely in Cambridgeshire, for five days of singing.
The trip came about after Kathryn Rowland, Sing! Choirs musical director, took the group to perform at The Maltings as part of the Ely-Ribe Twinning Committees Celebration weekend in May 2015.
More than a year later, 67 members jetted to Billund, Denmark to perform and meet other like-minded singers.
Over five days the choir performed in St Catherine’s Church, to an audience of over 120 holiday makers at Ride Camping and at the Immigration and Refugee Centre in Hviding.
They also sang with local choir Sing’n Swing – together more than 100 voices sang to a sell-out audience.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Rowland said: “Of all the performances the one that will stay with me most is the one at the Immigration and Refugee Centre - words from the songs took on such different meanings when we sang here.
“Speaking to the refugees after and realising the small difference we had made in what are very complicated and desperate situations they are in.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
“The images drawn by the children moved many choir members to tears, and I loved Ribe – it’s such a lovely place.
“We were so welcomed and I am so pleased that we have so many new Danish friends in a town that is celebrating 60 years of twinning with Ely.”
For more information about Sing! Choirs email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.singchoirs.com