Ely’s Ray gives an insight into 81 years in the fens
ELY resident Ray Cross received the perfect Christmas gift this week when his book My Life and Memories was published.
Mr Cross, who lives at Fairfax Court, has just celebrated his 81st birthday and originally started writing down his memories to share with his family.
With the help of a local publisher, however, his book is now available to buy.
Susan Harrison of SHBB Publishing, the publishers behind the book, said: “Mr Cross wanted to write down his thoughts and memories for his family. Part of my job was to help him organise those thoughts and memories in a format that would make them readable and enjoyable.
“The result is a dip-into book, with lots of snippets of memories that cover the whole of Mr Cross’s life to date. That’s 81 years of living and working in the Fens, memories of his schooldays in Haddenham, of being a young man courting his first wife with outings to Ely, of working on local farms, and his latter working years as head groundsman at the King’s School, in Ely.”
You may also want to watch:
My Life and Memories by Ray Cross is available from Burrows Bookshop, in High Street Passage, Ely.
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 5 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 6 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Letter: Football club remaining closed until June to help NHS
- 10 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor