Ely’s Ray gives an insight into 81 years in the fens
ELY resident Ray Cross received the perfect Christmas gift this week when his book My Life and Memories was published.
Mr Cross, who lives at Fairfax Court, has just celebrated his 81st birthday and originally started writing down his memories to share with his family.
With the help of a local publisher, however, his book is now available to buy.
Susan Harrison of SHBB Publishing, the publishers behind the book, said: “Mr Cross wanted to write down his thoughts and memories for his family. Part of my job was to help him organise those thoughts and memories in a format that would make them readable and enjoyable.
“The result is a dip-into book, with lots of snippets of memories that cover the whole of Mr Cross’s life to date. That’s 81 years of living and working in the Fens, memories of his schooldays in Haddenham, of being a young man courting his first wife with outings to Ely, of working on local farms, and his latter working years as head groundsman at the King’s School, in Ely.”
You may also want to watch:
My Life and Memories by Ray Cross is available from Burrows Bookshop, in High Street Passage, Ely.
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 5 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 6 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up