Ely's Newest Primary School Set To Double In Size
ELY S newest primary school is set to double in size as families flock to live in the fastest-growing city in Europe. The Lantern Primary school will increase its pupil numbers from 199 to 420, county councillors decided last week. Expansion is to be ph
ELY'S newest primary school is set to double in size as families flock to live in the fastest-growing city in Europe.
The Lantern Primary school will increase its pupil numbers from 199 to 420, county councillors decided last week.
Expansion is to be phased in, and 60 reception class pupils will have places at the school by 2010. By September this year the number of new students will be increased to 45.
Cambridgeshire County Council's cabinet agreed to the expansion in February this after hearing of demand from parents within the school's catchment area, a shortage of places and widespread support for the move following a four-week consultation.
You may also want to watch:
The move was legally cemented by a statutory notice published in April. The county council received no comments, representations or objections during the four-week notice period. Councillors then agreed formally on the scale of the expansion on May 20.
Cllr David Harty, Cabinet member for infrastructure, said: "It is very important that we start planning for the requirement of primary school places in good time. Our research has shown that the number of primary school aged children moving into new homes in Ely is certain to increase over the next few years and we must be ready.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
"The expansion of The Lantern means an extra 210 primary places in Ely in modern, purpose-built school facilities.