Ely’s Karen hoping to raise thousands with marathon challenge
ELY’S Karen Carter is hoping to raise �4,000 for charity by taking on her first London Marathon in April.
Karen will be joining her friend of almost 40 years Joanne Haigh to take part in the daunting 26.2-mile run and the pair have vowed to make it over the line “one way or another”.
Karen said: “A few weeks ago, Jo had the idea that she wanted us to run the London Marathon. We applied and after some badgering we both got a place running for Scope.
“This is a huge challenge and one we are determined to complete and we will cross the finish line one way or another.
“Please from the comfort of your own home - whilst we are out in the cold and rain and snow, pounding the streets practicing - get your cards out and sponsor us.”
You may also want to watch:
The duo selected Scope because of a friend whose son has cerebral palsy and they are already in training for the big day, scheduled for April 21. Joanne, from Hertfordshire, has hired a personal trainer to help her get in shape while Karen admits she has been running the streets of Ely three times a week.
To sponsor the pair, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/Enfieldbirds
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 5 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 6 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 7 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 8 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 9 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 10 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats