Ely’s Karen hoping to raise thousands with marathon challenge
ELY’S Karen Carter is hoping to raise �4,000 for charity by taking on her first London Marathon in April.
Karen will be joining her friend of almost 40 years Joanne Haigh to take part in the daunting 26.2-mile run and the pair have vowed to make it over the line “one way or another”.
Karen said: “A few weeks ago, Jo had the idea that she wanted us to run the London Marathon. We applied and after some badgering we both got a place running for Scope.
“This is a huge challenge and one we are determined to complete and we will cross the finish line one way or another.
“Please from the comfort of your own home - whilst we are out in the cold and rain and snow, pounding the streets practicing - get your cards out and sponsor us.”
You may also want to watch:
The duo selected Scope because of a friend whose son has cerebral palsy and they are already in training for the big day, scheduled for April 21. Joanne, from Hertfordshire, has hired a personal trainer to help her get in shape while Karen admits she has been running the streets of Ely three times a week.
To sponsor the pair, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/Enfieldbirds
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 3 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 4 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 7 East Cambridgeshire is ‘home to the noisiest neighbours in the country’
- 8 Three hare coursers - with three children and three dogs in car - fined for damaging crops
- 9 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 10 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000