Ely's Jubilee Gardens Wins A Green Flag Award
SHEILA Friend-Smith, chairman of the Friends of Jubilee Gardens, went to Bournemouth on behalf of East Cambridgeshire District Council last week to collect the prestigious Green Flag awarded for the excellent standard achieved by Ely s Jubilee Gardens in
SHEILA Friend-Smith, chairman of the Friends of Jubilee Gardens, went to Bournemouth on behalf of East Cambridgeshire District Council last week to collect the prestigious Green Flag awarded for the excellent standard achieved by Ely's Jubilee Gardens in 2009-10. Awards are made to public parks and gardens, which reach a high level of excellence, and this year more than 1,000 Green Flags were presented, but this was the only one in the East Cambridgeshire area.
Judges visited Ely in June to inspect the gardens and to see for themselves the ways in which volunteers and friends have helped to create this wonderful open space in the centre of Ely.
A winter garden, which has been entirely funded by private donations, is being developed. The gardens are maintained by the parks department of the district council, with help from the Friends.
"A small team of dedicated volunteers have enjoyed working in all weathers to produce a result we can all be proud of and for everyone to enjoy," said Mrs Friend-Smith.
INFO: Anyone who would like to make a donations or offer to help with Jubilee Gardens should contact Sheila Friend-Smith on (01353 663118).
This is the fifth year that a Green Flag has been awarded to the Jubilee Gardens.
- 1 Taxi firm introduce ‘hangover recovery kits’ during Christmas party season
- 2 Government clearance needed for £200,000 year role for Eileen
- 3 Grandmother paralysed by Covid slowly improving, judge told
- 4 Rail passengers urged to plan ahead of vital junction rebuild
- 5 Busy road near RAF Lakenheath reopens after five-vehicle crash
- 6 Thief will spend Christmas in prison after breaching court order
- 7 Neighbour and PCSO prevent £4,000 fraud
- 8 Council's plea to protect East Cambs from Covid-19 this Christmas
- 9 Frying High! National honours for Ely at potato awards
- 10 'She will be sorely missed' - Rev Teresa retires
Pic cap: Sheila Friend-Smith and her husband Jeremy in Bournemouth after being presented with the Green Flag.