Ely's Jubilee Gardens Wins A Green Flag Award
SHEILA Friend-Smith, chairman of the Friends of Jubilee Gardens, went to Bournemouth on behalf of East Cambridgeshire District Council last week to collect the prestigious Green Flag awarded for the excellent standard achieved by Ely s Jubilee Gardens in
SHEILA Friend-Smith, chairman of the Friends of Jubilee Gardens, went to Bournemouth on behalf of East Cambridgeshire District Council last week to collect the prestigious Green Flag awarded for the excellent standard achieved by Ely's Jubilee Gardens in 2009-10. Awards are made to public parks and gardens, which reach a high level of excellence, and this year more than 1,000 Green Flags were presented, but this was the only one in the East Cambridgeshire area.
Judges visited Ely in June to inspect the gardens and to see for themselves the ways in which volunteers and friends have helped to create this wonderful open space in the centre of Ely.
A winter garden, which has been entirely funded by private donations, is being developed. The gardens are maintained by the parks department of the district council, with help from the Friends.
"A small team of dedicated volunteers have enjoyed working in all weathers to produce a result we can all be proud of and for everyone to enjoy," said Mrs Friend-Smith.
You may also want to watch:
INFO: Anyone who would like to make a donations or offer to help with Jubilee Gardens should contact Sheila Friend-Smith on (01353 663118).
This is the fifth year that a Green Flag has been awarded to the Jubilee Gardens.
- 1 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Hundreds sign petition in support of pub's cup of positivi-tea
- 8 Blush crowned best bridal shop in Cambs
- 9 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 10 10-year-old's sponsored hair cut for Little Princess Trust
Pic cap: Sheila Friend-Smith and her husband Jeremy in Bournemouth after being presented with the Green Flag.