Ely’s Goldie gives her backing to Big Walk
- Credit: Getty Images
ELY Olympian Goldie Sayers has thrown her weight behind Alzheimer’s Research UK’s Big Walk, set to take place this summer.
Goldie, the UK’s number one javelin thrower, is urging walkers to sign up for the nine-mile challenge to raise money for vital dementia research.
Now in its third year, the 2013 Big Walk is taking place on Sunday, June 9, and the charity hopes to raise £30,000 for pioneering dementia research – enough to pay for an entire pilot project to help defeat Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia.
Goldie said: “It seems that everyone knows someone with dementia these days, and it’s great to know that Alzheimer’s Research UK is funding research to tackle this devastating condition.
“I’m delighted to give my support to the Big Walk – it’s a fantastic way to get active, have fun and raise money for this important cause all at the same time. Walking is a form of exercise that nearly everyone can do, and since exercise can help reduce the risk of dementia and other health conditions, everyone’s a winner!
Alzheimer’s Research UK’s Big Walk starts at 10am on at Comberton Village College, in West Street. To take up the challenge telephone 0300 111 5 777 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. More information is also available online at www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/big-walk
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 8 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 9 New cycling and walking routes strategy approved by council
- 10 Branch president left pleasantly surprised thanks to freemasons