Ely’s annual Aquafest returns to city for 40th anniversary this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s annual raft race will return to the city this Sunday (July 1) as it celebrates its 40th anniversary – here’s everything you need to know about the day.
During the event, beginning at 10.30am with an opening by the Mayor of Ely, all of the usual charity and commercial stalls will be present as well as fairground rides.
Aquafest, organised by both Ely Rotary clubs, covers three sites along the riverside, Lavender Green, Jubilee Gardens and the Maltings Green.
A spokesman said: “A major crowd pleaser is the amazing annual raft race on the River Ouse, with numerous decorated rafts, everyone enters into the spirit of the day and fun is had by all.”
On the river there will be the main and scouts raft races and demonstrations by Hannam’s Wake Hub.
You may also want to watch:
In the arena will be many musical entertainments, local youth groups and the Viking re-enactment group.
To mark the 40th year there will be a fly past by a WWII vintage Hurricane from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at approximately 3:55pm.
For more information, visit: www.elyaquafest.org.uk
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told