Ely Runners Hold Onto Second Spot In Frostbite League
ELY Runners held onto second spot in the Frostbite League after a gruelling race at the weekend. The race, the third in the league season, was held on a new course in Hinchingbrook Country Park in Huntingdon with muddy conditions making for a tough race a
ELY Runners held onto second spot in the Frostbite League after a gruelling race at the weekend.
The race, the third in the league season, was held on a new course in Hinchingbrook Country Park in Huntingdon with muddy conditions making for a tough race all round.
The team from Ely was a smaller contingent than the usual team of 14 men and four ladies but they remained keen to hang on to their second place in the league.
Although conditions on the day were good, being slightly cool and still, the previous day's heavy rain meant that underfoot conditions were very soft. To add to the unsteady footing standing water also conspired to test the runners on many parts of the two-lap course around the park.
Conditions aside, the course was a challenging mix of terrains with everything from slippery grass, heavy mud and faster sections of cyclepath making for a real battle for position as a mix of strength, balance and footwear favoured different runners at different times.
At the end of the race all runners were suitably coated with a viscous layer of mud as well as being exhausted from the energy-sapping conditions.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 3 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 ‘Wonderful’ Thanksgiving Evensong as Archdeacon steps down from role after 17 years
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 8 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 9 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 10 Detached home in tranquil riverside setting on sale for £750,000
On the day the Ely Ladies performed well with Daisy Glover again first lady home overall. Second lady home for Ely was Natalle Etches who also finished in the top ten of the ladies.
The Ely Men lacked a few of their regular stars but Brenan Morgan, running in his first frostbite of the season posted ninth place overall, with stalwart John Crisp and Ely debutant Peter Foody also placing well.