New venue, new members and awards at Ely Rotary Club starts its new year
- Credit: Archant
Ely Rotary Club has started 2018 with a host of updates, including new members, awards and a new venue.
The club, which was chartered in 1939, has switched from Witchford village hall to the High Flyer in Newnham Street, Ely.
For 41 years Margaret and Jon Toft’s catering company has travelled all the way from Fosdyke, Lincolnshire supplying hungry Rotarians.
Margaret was awarded a Paul Harris commendation, the highest distinction that can be bestowed on either a member or someone that has served a club outstandingly.
Another Paul Harris commendation was awarded to the club secretary, Trevor See, who has been a member for 15 years, many of these as secretary. This is a demanding job, and members say Trevor has served with distinction.
You may also want to watch:
Just before Christmas two new members were inducted into the Club at one meeting.
One is John Bassett, who has just moved into Witchford, and is the founder and leader of the well-known Ely Rocking Ukuleles band.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
John was a publisher before retiring.
The second is Harriett Maddox, also a well-known musician, who sings professionally and accompanies herself on the piano.
She has joined as an associate member, and will be attending from Downham Market.
At the second meeting of the year Bill Hammill was inducted at the new venue. He is a retired accountant, and is also from Witchford.
Ely Rotary Club was chartered in 1939, and is regarded as a well-established organisation, for which “Service Before Self” is its motto.
• Ely Rotary Club meet on a Wednesday, but alternating between a lunchtime for the first and third Wednesday, evening on the second and fourth. New members are always welcome. The membership secretary is John Dennick 01353 662636 or email@example.com.