New venue, new members and awards at Ely Rotary Club starts its new year
- Credit: Archant
Ely Rotary Club has started 2018 with a host of updates, including new members, awards and a new venue.
The club, which was chartered in 1939, has switched from Witchford village hall to the High Flyer in Newnham Street, Ely.
For 41 years Margaret and Jon Toft’s catering company has travelled all the way from Fosdyke, Lincolnshire supplying hungry Rotarians.
Margaret was awarded a Paul Harris commendation, the highest distinction that can be bestowed on either a member or someone that has served a club outstandingly.
Another Paul Harris commendation was awarded to the club secretary, Trevor See, who has been a member for 15 years, many of these as secretary. This is a demanding job, and members say Trevor has served with distinction.
Just before Christmas two new members were inducted into the Club at one meeting.
One is John Bassett, who has just moved into Witchford, and is the founder and leader of the well-known Ely Rocking Ukuleles band.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 3 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 4 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 7 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 8 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 9 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Princess Anne to visit Cambridgeshire next week
John was a publisher before retiring.
The second is Harriett Maddox, also a well-known musician, who sings professionally and accompanies herself on the piano.
She has joined as an associate member, and will be attending from Downham Market.
At the second meeting of the year Bill Hammill was inducted at the new venue. He is a retired accountant, and is also from Witchford.
Ely Rotary Club was chartered in 1939, and is regarded as a well-established organisation, for which “Service Before Self” is its motto.
• Ely Rotary Club meet on a Wednesday, but alternating between a lunchtime for the first and third Wednesday, evening on the second and fourth. New members are always welcome. The membership secretary is John Dennick 01353 662636 or email@example.com.