Ely Rotary Club goes On Tour! And they’re always looking for new members to join them
- Credit: Archant
Ely Rotary Club is branching out its range of activities by adding a new title, Ely Rotary Club On Tour.
Known to its members as ERCOT, the newly established group is being run by Rotarian John Riley.
He is a well-known member and events organiser at the MG Owners’ Club and is experienced in arranging tours to interesting places.
The first ERCOT trip, to the British Schools Museum in Hitchin earlier this year, saw 18 attending members being treated as young pupils in a classroom straight out of the time warp of the 1840s.
Then in August, 20 members enjoyed a sunny day out to the ‘prettiest village in Essex’, Finchingfield, where a late lunch was arranged at a local restaurant for the whole party.
You may also want to watch:
ERCOT’s third and latest visit, to St. George’s Distillery for a drinks tasting day, however, was quite unusual.
Eric Grant, of the club, said of the trip: “It seems not to be known generally that there is a full-blown and established whisky distillery in England, at Roudham, Norfolk.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
“This was a drinks-tasting with a difference! Not too many tastings, of course, to keep the drivers within the law, and all before an excellent lunch at The Angel, Larling, just round the corner from the distillery”, he added.
For information on joining the Rotary Club, call membership secretary Mike Copping on 01353 740236 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org