Ely rockers join star line-up for Party on the Hill
- Credit: Archant
ELY’S very own Brit-pop band - Beach Blanket Bingo - have reformed and been added to the bill for the forthcoming Party On The Hill event.
Formed in 1993, Beach Blanket Bingo lasted 10 years and supported rock band Oasis in 1994, triumphed over 100 other bands to win the Cambridge Rock Competition at the Junction in 1995 and hosted their own club night with Radio 1 DJ Steve Lamacq.
The band got together again in October last year after a 10-year hiatus for a one-off show at the Maltings as part of Mickfest 2, a memorial concert for well known Ely musician Mick Gillett who passed away in 2011.
They have got together again, however, to join the likes of Blue, Matt Cardle, Atomic Kitten and DJ Ironik for Party on the Hill, set to take place in Ely’s Cherry Hill Park on August 31.
Guitarist, David Wisbey, said: “We enjoyed doing the Mickfest show and decided that we’d follow on by recording and releasing some of our original songs that we never got round to doing so in 2003 prior to splitting up.
“Consequently studio time was booked and rehearsals were already underway when we got offered a slot by the organisers of Party on the Hill to appear on their bill.”
Tickets for Party on the Hill are available from Burrows Bookshop, in High Street Passage, Ely, or online at www.elyparty.co.uk.
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 5 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 6 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 7 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
- 8 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 9 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 10 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?