Ely Refugee Resettlement Campaign to celebrate Refugee Week with events
- Credit: Archant
The Ely Refugee Resettlement Campaign has organised two events to help spread the message of Refugee Week.
The week takes place all around the world every year, and will return this year from Monday June 20 until Sunday June 26.
Ely Refugee Resettlement Campaign (ERRC) is to put on two events to celebrate the week, starting with a poster prize-giving display on Saturday 18 June.
The winners of the group’s recent poster competition, in which the theme was ‘Home/Refuge,’ will be handed prizes by judges Mayor of Ely Ian Lindsey, Dr Dee McCormack and Ricki Outis, at Ely Library at 2pm.
Reflecting on the entries received, Dr McCormack said: “We have been very moved by the children’s posters, which have shown a real understanding of the issues facing refugees, and a great deal of compassion. Choosing the winners will be a difficult task, as there are so many lovely designs.”
The winning posters and some of the other designs will be displayed in Ely Library from Saturday June 18 until Wednesday June 22.
The group is to then hold a public meeting on Wednesday June 22 to discuss the Unaccompanied Children Initiative, which could see children registered in Greece, Italy or France to be eligible for resettlement in the UK.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 7 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 8 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Ely and Cambridge for Neil Hilgrove Colledge recitals
The meeting will be held at the Kempen Rooms at the Maltings from 7pm until 9pm, and will include several speakers including a representative from the Cambridge Refugee Resettlement Campaign and some foster parents.
For more information on either event or to register your interest, visit http://bit.ly/21ghmqb or email email@example.com.