Feeling that winter chill in Ely? It’s just been ranked seventh in England’s coldest cities
- Credit: Archant
Residents in Ely could be forgiven for reaching for the central heating controls this month as figures reveal it is among England’s chilliest cities.
With an average minimum temperature of 5.7°C, ice-cold Ely ranked seventh in a line-up of more than 50 English cities, put together by gas network Cadent.
The figures used Met Office data spanning nearly 30 years, from 1981 to 2010.
Although not quite snagging the top spot – held by Leeds and Bradford with an average minimum temperature of 5.1°C – Ely weather can have a chilly sting in its tail.
Chris Rison, Cadent’s head of emergency, response and repair for the East of England, said: “Winter can be very unpredictable. When the ‘Beast from the East’ hit at the very end of winter this year, gas escape calls in the Ely, Cambridge and Huntingdon area quadrupled on March 1 compared to the same day last year.
You may also want to watch:
“During the first four days in March we dealt with nearly three times as many emergency calls, compared with the same period in 2017.”
For Cadent’s top ten tips for a warm and safe winter visit: https://cadentgas.com/emergencies-safety/safeguarding/be-winter-ready
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment