Competition-winning pupils to have their first ever poems published inside new book
- Credit: Supplied/Kids Club Ely
A handful of first-time poems written by pupils in Ely will be published inside a book which features creative writing by children from all over the country.
Nine children from St John's Preschool in the city, also known as Kids Club Ely, will have their work printed inside 'My First Poem 2020 - Creative Voices'.
Claire Rampley, deputy manager, entered the children's poems as part of the nationwide 'My First Poem 2020' competition.
She said: 'Having the pupils' work published is a fantastic way to build confidence and a love of literacy and is something to be very excited about.
'This is very special for the children and they all received a certificate and a bookmark for their hard work, we are very proud of them.'
You may also want to watch:
The book is set for publication on April 3 this year by Peterborough-based Young Writers and will feature poems with the theme 'All About Me'.
Ms Rampley added: 'Young Writers run writing competitions throughout the academic year for nurseries, primary and secondary schools.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
'Work is selected for publication based on perception, imagination, expression, creativity and use of language.
'If a teacher has inspired and motivated their pupils with or without the help of our resources, this means we receive some good poetry/stories, a lot of which is of an equally high standard.'