Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- Credit: Stonegate Group
Two pubs in Ely have joined forces and raised £3,500 in support of the British Heart Foundation’s (BHF) 60th birthday.
The pubs have the unusual connection of being managed by husband and wife which has in the past seen friendly competition between them both but has now doubled their fundraising potential.
Simon Pac-Pomarnacki runs The Hereward and Vicki Pac-Pomarnacki runs The Minister Tavern.
The Hereward and The Minister Tavern’s funds will go to the UK’s leading charity funding research into heart and circulatory diseases and their risk factors.
Kicking-off fundraising with events to coincide with the Euros this summer, the two pubs have since held quizzes, raffles, and shaken their collection boxes to raise the ‘amazing’ total.
Simon said: “There has always been rivalry between the two pubs, but working together for the British Heart Foundation has been a real team effort.
"We're so proud of what we've been able to achieve."
- 1 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 2 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 5 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 6 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 7 GP practices mark ‘momentous milestone’ in Covid-19 vaccine programme
- 8 Ely Rotary Club back with annual Christmas collection
- 9 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 10 Two year ban on begging for these six
Vicki added: “It’s been great to see pub regulars and the community of Ely come together to raise funds for a great cause."
Since July 2021, Stonegate’s managed pub teams have raised a staggering £160,000 for the BHF.
From paddle boarding down the Thames to hosting various events in their pubs, they will continue to fundraise for the rest of this year.
When the BHF was founded in 1961, 7 out of 10 heart attacks were fatal. Now, at least 7 out of 10 people survive.
Funds raised by Stonegate will go towards helping the BHF continue to pioneer medical breakthroughs which help the 7.6 million people in the UK living with heart and circulatory diseases.
Paul Davies, Head of Corporate Partnerships at the BHF said: “We are so grateful to Simon, Vicki and their teams at The Hereward and The Minster Tavern for their support around our 60th birthday.
“Over the last 60 years, we have funded ground-breaking discoveries including the first UK heart transplant, pacemakers and genetic testing for inherited heart conditions.
"The funds raised by our partners will help us keeping finding cures and treatments for the 7.6 million people in the UK living with heart and circulatory diseases.”