Ely pub set to re-open following refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
The Prince Albert pub in Ely is set to re-open after an extension was added to create a new dining area and bigger kitchen.
The extension has been built to meet demand and adds space for 40 extra dining places.
The investment at the Silver Street pub, owned by Greene King, comes after it was taken on by new landlord Mike Connelly, who had the venue refurbished.
The pub re-opened on Tuesday after a three-week closure to create the extension. Five new jobs were created as a result of the investment.
Mr Connelly said: “There was always a bit of a tussle for space between our diners and drinkers and this extension answers that problem. We now have the room to accommodate both groups happily and expand our menu at the same time.”
You may also want to watch:
The kitchen will be headed up by head chef Luke Chambers. The pub’s new food menu will include a mix of classic pub food and modern dishes, including homemade bread and ice-cream.
Mike added: “We have been lucky that space at the back of the pub has allowed us to create more room for customers both inside and out. The garden is somewhat of a secret, as you cannot see it from the street, but it is always popular with those in the know.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 5 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
“As summer really kicks off, I cannot imagine it will stay a secret for much longer and that is no bad thing.”
Clive Chesser, business unit director for Greene King, said: “It is very rewarding to see the completion of such a sought-after project, as I know the pub’s customers have been looking forward to their bigger and better pub for some time.
“I am confident that the Prince Albert is a pub that everyone in Ely, drinkers and diners alike, can be proud of.”
Mike, partner Jeanene Flack and executive chef Maciej Bilewski also run sister pub, the Royal Standard, in Fore Hill, Ely.