Ely potato supplier hails award-winning chippie
- Credit: Archant
A FISH and chip shop in Shetland is celebrating after winning an award backed by an Ely potato supplier at the National Fish & Chip Awards.
Frankie’s Fish & Chips, billed as the most northerly chippie in the UK, won the inaugural ‘From Field to Frier Award,’ sponsored by Isle of Ely Produce at the awards bash at the Lancaster London hotel, in London on January 24.
The company were sponsoring an award for the first time this year at the event which was hosted by former strictly star and impressionist Rory Bremner.
John Boutwood Isle of Ely managing director, said: “The national fish & chip awards are the Oscars of the fish and chip industry, to be a sponsor was an honour and is a way to show our commitment to our customers.”
“With this new award we are highlighting the importance of the journey the potato makes, from the farmer to the frier” he added.
You may also want to watch:
Isle of Ely Produce potatoes, many grown in Cambridgeshire, end up in fish and chip shops across the UK.
Austen Dack Isle of Ely marketing officer, added: “The awards were a culmination of a year’s hard work, it is ironic - coming from the east - that our winner was the most northerly chippie in the UK, but they were a very worthy winner.”
- 1 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 2 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 3 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 4 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 5 Company ‘paralysed by Brexit’ forced to open warehouse in Holland
- 6 Burglar who was spared by judge stole from woman three days later
- 7 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 8 New youth centre could be built in Littleport
- 9 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 10 Care home still 'requires improvement'