Ely potato supplier hails award-winning chippie
- Credit: Archant
A FISH and chip shop in Shetland is celebrating after winning an award backed by an Ely potato supplier at the National Fish & Chip Awards.
Frankie’s Fish & Chips, billed as the most northerly chippie in the UK, won the inaugural ‘From Field to Frier Award,’ sponsored by Isle of Ely Produce at the awards bash at the Lancaster London hotel, in London on January 24.
The company were sponsoring an award for the first time this year at the event which was hosted by former strictly star and impressionist Rory Bremner.
John Boutwood Isle of Ely managing director, said: “The national fish & chip awards are the Oscars of the fish and chip industry, to be a sponsor was an honour and is a way to show our commitment to our customers.”
“With this new award we are highlighting the importance of the journey the potato makes, from the farmer to the frier” he added.
You may also want to watch:
Isle of Ely Produce potatoes, many grown in Cambridgeshire, end up in fish and chip shops across the UK.
Austen Dack Isle of Ely marketing officer, added: “The awards were a culmination of a year’s hard work, it is ironic - coming from the east - that our winner was the most northerly chippie in the UK, but they were a very worthy winner.”
- 1 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 2 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 3 Suspected building site burglars stopped in their tracks
- 4 Catering wars as converted horsebox trailer takes on National Trust
- 5 Welcome to the Fens but can you guess which part?
- 6 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 7 Palmer's 'flagship' £100k homes will be council houses
- 8 Petition calls for more Cambs busways to be scrapped
- 9 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl