Ely potato supplier hails award-winning chippie
- Credit: Archant
A FISH and chip shop in Shetland is celebrating after winning an award backed by an Ely potato supplier at the National Fish & Chip Awards.
Frankie’s Fish & Chips, billed as the most northerly chippie in the UK, won the inaugural ‘From Field to Frier Award,’ sponsored by Isle of Ely Produce at the awards bash at the Lancaster London hotel, in London on January 24.
The company were sponsoring an award for the first time this year at the event which was hosted by former strictly star and impressionist Rory Bremner.
John Boutwood Isle of Ely managing director, said: “The national fish & chip awards are the Oscars of the fish and chip industry, to be a sponsor was an honour and is a way to show our commitment to our customers.”
“With this new award we are highlighting the importance of the journey the potato makes, from the farmer to the frier” he added.
Isle of Ely Produce potatoes, many grown in Cambridgeshire, end up in fish and chip shops across the UK.
Austen Dack Isle of Ely marketing officer, added: “The awards were a culmination of a year’s hard work, it is ironic - coming from the east - that our winner was the most northerly chippie in the UK, but they were a very worthy winner.”
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 7 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 8 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 9 GP surgery 'failing' us says Labour
- 10 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash