Spuds at the ready! Ely Potato Race returns on October 14
- Credit: Archant
The thrilling Ely Potato Race is nearly under starter’s orders – with the team behind the event celebrating its sixth year.
The annual relay race, organised by Isle of Ely Produce in conjunction with over 30 local potato farmers, is being held on October 14 and will be officially started by SE Cambs MP Lucy Frazer and Mayor of Ely, Richard Hobbs.
The contest sees teams racing from Market Place to the end of the High Street, near the Cathedral. It is the only street based potato race in the world.
Each competitor is required to run the race with a 20kg bag of potatoes on his or her back.
Oliver Boutwood, director of Isle of Ely Produce, said: “Last year’s race was amazing – more than 1,000 people lined the streets and helped us raise over £3,000 for local schools and charities.”
You may also want to watch:
“The race fits in nicely with our campaign which highlights the journey the potato makes from field to the frier. It also brings agriculture into our city, and people love to see the races.”
The team - as well as calling for spectators and runners - are also looking for local sponsors. All money raised will go to local charities.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
The race which also coincides with Ely Cathedral’s harvest festival, starts at 11am. A schools race will also take place.
The cost of entering a team of two people is £10. Places are limited.
If you would like to enter please call 01353 863355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.