Ely potato race returns - are you ready to take up the challenge and run with a 20kg bag of spuds on your back?
- Credit: Archant
Ely Potato Race is close again to being under starter’s orders – with the team behind the event celebrating its seventh year.
The annual relay race, organised by Isle of Ely Produce in conjunction with over 30 local potato farmers is being held on October 13 and will be officially started by Mayor of Ely, Mike Rouse.
The contest sees teams racing from Market Place to the end of the High Street, near the Cathedral. It is the only street based potato race in the world.
Last year competitors included ‘racing potatoes’, ambulance crews plus a fire fighter in full kit running the course.
Each competitor is required to run the race with a 20kg bag of potatoes on his or her back.
You may also want to watch:
Oliver Boutwood, director of Isle of Ely Produce, said: “Last year’s race was amazing – more than 1,000 people lined the streets and helped us raise over £3,000 for local schools and charities.”
“The race fits in nicely with our campaign which highlights the journey the potato makes from field to the frier. It also brings agriculture into our city, and people love to see the races.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 7 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
The team – as well as calling for spectators and runners – are also looking for local sponsors. All money raised will go to local charities.
The race which also coincides with Ely Cathedral’s harvest festival starts at 11am. A schools race will also take place.
The cost of entering a team of two people is £10. Places are limited.
If you would like to enter please call 01353 863355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.