Ely Pop Up Gospel Choir hopes to break fundraising record with charity concert
- Credit: Archant
Ely Pop Up Gospel Choir is hoping to raise £5,000 for children in Kenya as more than 60 singers take to the stage for the third year.
The choir will be performing afternoon and evening concerts at St Mary’s Church this Saturday, June 9, in aid of the charity To Kenya With Love which helps improve the lives of children in Kisumu, the country’s third largest city.
Numbers include The Greatest Showman’s ‘This Is Me’, ‘Happy’ by Pharrell Williams and ‘Something Inside So Strong’, as well as more spiritual songs such as ‘Steal Away’ and ‘Holy, Holy’.
The Pop Up Gospel Choir is directed by West End performer and Ely mum of three Lisa Olsworth-Peter.
She said: “As always the concerts will be lively, fun and full of energy but there will also be some slower, more reflective songs which sound fantastic because the choir makes such a rich and beautiful sound.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a real community of all ages and abilities who share a love of music, and their enthusiasm is infectious.
“People who come to the concerts will leave with a spring in their step and they can feel proud to have helped provide vital support for children in Kenya.”
- 1 New Google Search data reveals Ely is one of Britain’s most tired cities
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 Ely Cathedral's Covid-19 vaccination centre application was turned down
- 4 Number of fatal injuries caused on our roads ‘remains far too high’
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 8 Nobody home as police force entry after reports of drugs activity
- 9 Keep a birds-eye view on resident Peregrine falcons by watching webcam
- 10 NHS worker breaks ribs, ankle and fractures leg in four car pile-up
In May 2016 and July 2017, the choir’s concerts raised more than £6,000 for Potters Village.
For more information about the Ely Pop Up Gospel Choir and to book concert tickets at 2.30pm or 6pm, contact Kirsty Smith via firstname.lastname@example.org or visit St Mary’s Church Office.
Tickets are £10 and concessions £5 including refreshments. The charity’s website is www.tkwl.org.uk