Ely Pop Up Gospel Choir hopes to break fundraising record with charity concert
- Credit: Archant
Ely Pop Up Gospel Choir is hoping to raise £5,000 for children in Kenya as more than 60 singers take to the stage for the third year.
The choir will be performing afternoon and evening concerts at St Mary’s Church this Saturday, June 9, in aid of the charity To Kenya With Love which helps improve the lives of children in Kisumu, the country’s third largest city.
Numbers include The Greatest Showman’s ‘This Is Me’, ‘Happy’ by Pharrell Williams and ‘Something Inside So Strong’, as well as more spiritual songs such as ‘Steal Away’ and ‘Holy, Holy’.
The Pop Up Gospel Choir is directed by West End performer and Ely mum of three Lisa Olsworth-Peter.
She said: “As always the concerts will be lively, fun and full of energy but there will also be some slower, more reflective songs which sound fantastic because the choir makes such a rich and beautiful sound.
“It’s a real community of all ages and abilities who share a love of music, and their enthusiasm is infectious.
“People who come to the concerts will leave with a spring in their step and they can feel proud to have helped provide vital support for children in Kenya.”
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 3 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 4 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 9 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
In May 2016 and July 2017, the choir’s concerts raised more than £6,000 for Potters Village.
For more information about the Ely Pop Up Gospel Choir and to book concert tickets at 2.30pm or 6pm, contact Kirsty Smith via email@example.com or visit St Mary’s Church Office.
Tickets are £10 and concessions £5 including refreshments. The charity’s website is www.tkwl.org.uk