Ely Netball Club has another chance of funding to cover the costs of a surge in membership
- Credit: Archant
A netball club is hoping to make it double bubble by entering for a second national funding bid.
As Ely Netball Club eagerly awaits the outcome of their bid for Skipton Building Society funding (decision date November 7), they now have an opportunity to vote again on another bid, this time with the Aviva Community Fund.
A spokesman for the club said: “The club ran a successful Back to Netball course this summer, resulting in an increase of membership taking us from three teams to five teams.
“To enable us to continue to offer this activity to local women we need to secure a weekly training venue.
“Outdoor netball facilities do not exist in Ely and we are dependent on hiring nearby Witchford Village College multi-sports facilities which are popular within the locality and book up quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“We need to book extra courts (outdoor and indoor) for the surge in membership, which has resulted in an increase of costs.
“The funds requested will help go towards these costs, as well as the purchase of new netballs, training equipment and kit subsidies.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“This will allow us to continue to offer a safe and friendly environment for women to get active, promote health and wellbeing and encourage even more local women to participate in sport.”
Ely Netball Club has been running since 2003 and offers netball for local women age 18+) in Ely and surrounding villages.
The club welcomes people of all ages and abilities and competes in the Cambridge and District Netball League.
“Although we have a competitive streak, we also appreciate keeping fit is important too and offer a fun, sociable environment for those who want to enjoy a run around with friends.”
• The club meets every Wednesday from 7.30pm to 9pm at Witchford Village College