Ely Museum to ‘unlock potential’ of Old Gaol thanks to £159,000 Heritage Lottery Fund boost
- Credit: Archant
A project to transform Ely Museum has received a huge boost thanks to the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The national fund has handed over £159,300 so the city’s iconic museum can realise its ‘Unlocking the potential of the Old Gaol’ project – a scheme that will see the museum transformed into a community hub for tourists over the next four years.
The museum plans on hosting events, exhibitions and featuring new galleries in a bid to bring more tourists to Ely.
A spokesman said: “We’re so excited to share our fantastic news at Ely Museum.
“The project aims to completely transform the museum over the next four years and to work more closely with the community.
You may also want to watch:
“It will allow us to transform the museum into a heritage hub for locals and tourists and introduce them to the fascinating history of the area.
“We’ll have new galleries, events, exhibitions and a new space for welcoming visitors. It’s a huge project that we just can’t wait to start.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 7 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
“Our support has been made communities to explore the heritage held at the museum and to play a vital role in its future possible by The National Lottery players so we’re particularly pleased that this project has a real focus on enabling communities to explore the heritage held at the museum and to play a vital role in its future.”