A rally call to save Ely museum
- Credit: Archant
Ely Museum says it is undertaking an ambitious project of improvement to save it from closure as the displays are shabby and outdated.
A fund raising campaign has been launched to bring in £100,000 needed to unlock a £1.67 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to help turn the museum into a venue to make East Cambridgeshire proud.
A spokesman said: “Our museum is currently unfit for purpose. The displays have become shabby and outdated. The way objects are displayed does not do justice to the many remarkable items and stories in our collection.
“The museum’s store is too small and is bursting at the seams. As a result, we cannot collect any new items. This means that important pieces of Ely’s heritage could be lost forever.
“There is no lift to reach the upper floor. This means that over half of our exhibitions are inaccessible to visitors with mobility impairments, or families with pushchairs. Our toilets are insufficient for group visits and schools.
“Our essential systems and facilities are at the end of their lives. If they fail we will have to close the museum.”
Now they are upping their game with a bid to raise thousands to save the museum.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 4 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 'It's a gem of an untold story' - Ely author, Ellee shares new novel
- 9 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 10 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
“Help us create an amazing space to explore our history, welcome visitors and school groups and hold fun events.
“We have fantastic plans. However, to make these plans a reality we still need to raise over £100,000 to unlock a £1.67 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
“Your support is essential for making this happen.
“While we are confident we can secure some funding from national grant-making bodies, the success of this project will only be possible with the financial support of the people of Ely.”
Among improvements are redesigned galleries, refreshed displays, new exhibition spaces, an extension for a new education room, a lift to ensure all visitors can be inspired, new lighting and fire prevention equipment.
It is also hoped to create a new store area.
• To donate securely online visit www.elymuseum.org.uk/support-us/support-us/
• Ely Museum’s opening hours are Mon-Sat 10.30am – 5.00pm, Sun 1-5pm.