Ely mum scoops £100,000 scratchcard prize thanks to chip shop visit
- Credit: Archant
A mum from Ely is celebrating after scooping the £100,000 top prize on scratchcard - which was bought for her on Good Friday.
Julie Ann Munday, 20, who has two young children, was feeling peckish so her mother, Sarah, popped to Ely’s High Street to buy some fish and chips.
While there she also picked up a scratchcard with the change from the money that Julie Ann had given to her.
Little was Sarah to know her quick trip to pick up fish and chips was going to turn her
daughter’s Good Friday into a fantastic Friday.
You may also want to watch:
Julie Ann said: “I quickly scratched off the numbers as soon as mum came home with the scratchcard, even before I had eaten the fish and chips and then ran around the house screaming.
“I just couldn’t believe that my craving for fish and chips on Good Friday would lead to such a lucky turn of events. My neighbours, who are great friends of mine, immediately heard my screams and came rushing over to hear the news.
- 1 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 2 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
- 3 Ely named the UK’s most baby-friendly location
- 4 30 East Cambs candidates compete for 8 Cambridgshire County council seats
- 5 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 6 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 7 Contractors 'did not follow the brief' when it came to drain maintenance
- 8 Cineworld Ely expected to reopen in May
- 9 Slimmer launches weight loss group after losing three stone
- 10 Lunging challenge in boyfriend's memory raises thousands for charity
“I didn’t do anything differently over the Easter weekend because I wanted to wait to make sure that my luck had really come in but when I had the win confirmed by the National Lottery it took me all of a few minutes to know what my first purchase would be – driving lessons.”
Julie is planning to spend some of her winnings on applying for her provisional driving licence
She said: “Being able to drive will change mine and my children’s lives - so I’m going to apply for my licence and book up some driving lessons as soon as I can.
“I even know what car I want – a yellow Mini. I’ll have enough money to pay for
all of my driving lessons and buy a Mini and still have some left over.
“I’ve always wanted to take my son and daughter to Disneyland. They are a bit young at the moment but that’s definitely on the cards in the next few years and I’ll be putting some money aside in savings just to make everything a bit easier in the future.”
The winning £100,000 scratchcard was bought in the Premier Convenience shop in High Street.