Ely MP agrees protecting the vulnerable will not be easy as local government cuts get set to bite
- Credit: Archant
Ely MP Lucy Frazer agreed funding is needed to look after the most vulnerable as Cambridgeshire County Council gets set to make £41million worth of cuts.
BBC Sunday Politics East host Stewart White questioned the South East Cambridgeshire MP on Sunday’s show after Councillor George Nobbs, leader of Norfolk County Council, told the programme the cuts were now being made ‘to the bone’.
He said: “We heard George Nobbs saying we have cut the meat in local authorities now we have got to cut to the bone. This is not good news for the government is it because people are beginning to say hang on no, no you can’t cut that because its going to make it very difficult for people to live after that.”
Ms Frazer responded by saying: “Well my own council’s said it is going to protect the most vulnerable which is absolutely important. But I think we need to look at other things as well, so I am really pleased we have localism and we have got plans for devolution. I am fighting in the treasury at the moment to ensure that we have the ability as an area to raise funds locally for infra-structure and other projects.”
Mr White then asked: “But if you are cutting to the bone and not just cutting the meat, protecting the most vulnerable is not easy?”
You may also want to watch:
To which Ms Frazer replied: “Absolutely we need to ensure we do look after people and we need the funds to do that.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?