ELY: Motorists Beats Driving Ban After Telling Court He Has Found A Job.
A MOTORIST spotted by police as he revved his engine loudly and spun his wheels in Newnham Street at Ely in the early hours of Christmas Eve escaped a driving ban this week. Ben Damps already had nine points endorsed on his licence when he appeared at Ely
A MOTORIST spotted by police as he revved his engine loudly and spun his wheels in Newnham Street at Ely in the early hours of Christmas Eve escaped a driving ban this week.
Ben Damps already had nine points endorsed on his licence when he appeared at Ely courthouse and admitted a charge of careless driving. He could have been banned from the road for six months.
But magistrates agreed that Damps could keep his licence, after hearing that he had the immediate offer of a job as a granite worktop fitter, following a period of unemployment.
"It is a pleasure to hear from someone coming into court that they have found themselves a job," said presiding magistrate Janet South.
You may also want to watch:
Damps, 24, of Main Street, Littleport, was fined �50 with �35 costs and a �15 surcharge, and three points were endorsed on his licence.
- 1 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 2 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 3 Fire crews tackling woodland blaze carried pump and equipment 200 metres
- 4 Popular food delivery service Deliveroo launches in city this week
- 5 Throwback to places and faces of Ely's past
- 6 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 7 Transformation of empty offices into luxury flats well under way
- 8 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 9 Residents ‘left without a voice’ over anti-social car park behaviour
- 10 Person hit by train between Cambridge and Ely