Ely Markets win national award after being crowned market team of the year
- Credit: Archant
A ‘unique combination of tradition and innovation’ and hard-working team members has led to Ely Markets winning a national award.
The team beat more than 50 others to be crowned market team of the year by the National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA).
Graham Wilson, chief executive of NABMA, said: “We were impressed with the contribution the team has made in providing such a diverse and quality market with strong links to the local community.
“We were particularly impressed with the time taken by team members Julia Davis, Lisa Quin and Bill Wayman to support and mentor new stallholders, such as local craftspeople, artisan food makers and international street food traders.
“The hard work that goes on behind the scenes of a market is often undervalued. Giving this award to a team who is making a big difference brings me great pleasure.”
You may also want to watch:
The mini-markets, late-night events and their ongoing commitment to plastic-free shopping were also commended.
Julia Davis, of Ely Markets, said: “Our diverse range of traders and our commitment to sustainability and innovation make our market unique.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
“We’re proud of our 800 years of history and we’re excited about the future.”
The award was presented to Ely Markets by Councillor Geraldine Carter, NABMA president, at a ceremony held at East Cambs District Council.