ELY: Man Found Bleeding At The Wheel Of A Car Was Drunk
DRINK-driver Marco Castanho had been sick and was bleeding when police found him slumped over the wheel of his car in Ely. He had earlier lost movement and consciousness, and had fallen to the floor before climbing back into the vehicle, he told city magi
DRINK-driver Marco Castanho had been sick and was bleeding when police found him slumped over the wheel of his car in Ely.
He had earlier lost movement and consciousness, and had fallen to the floor before climbing back into the vehicle, he told city magistrates.
The Vauxhall Astra he had been driving had collided with a kerb and suffered a punctured tyre, and hotel worker Castanho was taken to hospital by police.
"There was concern about his well being, he was taken to Addenbrooke's A & E Department, and after being assessed was released back into police custody," said prosecutor Laura Mardell.
You may also want to watch:
Forty-year-old Castanho, of Beresford Road, Ely, admitted drink-driving in Silver Street on April 22, giving a breath test reading of 59 mcgs of alcohol in 100 mls of breath, when the legal limit is35 mcgs. He was banned from driving for a year and fined �300 with �60 costs and a �15 surcharge.
"I had been out with a friend to celebrate him getting married, and I was happy at getting a job," Castanho told the court. "I didn't drink much, four or five small bottles. But I had gone more than 24 hours without sleeping or eating, because I work at night," he told the court.
- 1 Did you go to Newmarket Nights? Spot yourself in our gallery
- 2 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 SAS ‘original’ Reg Seekings to feature in book
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 7 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
- 8 'Panicked' dangerous driver apologised after 90mph police pursuit
- 9 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 10 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go