Ely Man Fined After Police Drugs Search at Hostel
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard. Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis. It was seized and he was arrested, prosecutor Penny Cannon t
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard.
Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis.
"It was seized and he was arrested," prosecutor Penny Cannon told city magistrates on Thursday.
Police had gone to the hostel in Wheatsheaf Close around 10pm on February 10, following reports of a man causing a nuisance.
"A man kept visiting, and was turned away on numerous occasions," said Mrs Cannon.
"As police were in the car park, Aldridge walked towards the patrol car. He was searched, and handed over a small metal tin, containing a small amount of cannabis.
- 1 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 2 Cinderella makes a comeback thanks to Players' Christmas pantomime
- 3 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 4 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 7 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 8 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 9 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 10 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic
"It was seized, and he was arrested."
Aldridge, 30, of Wheatsheaf Close, Ely, had been due to appear in court on February 25, but magistrates issued a warrant for his arrest when he failed to appear.
Representing himself in court this week, Aldridge said he was not living at his home address all the time, and had "completely forgotten" about being due to court last month.
Aldridge said he was on medication that affected him; but he had handed himself in at Ely Police Station.
The court fined Aldridge a total of �100 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge, and ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the drug.