Ely Man Fined After Police Drugs Search at Hostel
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard. Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis. It was seized and he was arrested, prosecutor Penny Cannon t
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard.
Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis.
"It was seized and he was arrested," prosecutor Penny Cannon told city magistrates on Thursday.
Police had gone to the hostel in Wheatsheaf Close around 10pm on February 10, following reports of a man causing a nuisance.
"A man kept visiting, and was turned away on numerous occasions," said Mrs Cannon.
"As police were in the car park, Aldridge walked towards the patrol car. He was searched, and handed over a small metal tin, containing a small amount of cannabis.
- 1 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 2 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 3 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 4 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 5 Woman who twice ignored 'no fly tipping' signs faces two fines
- 6 Man facing eviction fears 'absolute disaster' despite council help
- 7 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 8 Army assault course brought back to former glory at Waterbeach Barracks
- 9 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 10 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
"It was seized, and he was arrested."
Aldridge, 30, of Wheatsheaf Close, Ely, had been due to appear in court on February 25, but magistrates issued a warrant for his arrest when he failed to appear.
Representing himself in court this week, Aldridge said he was not living at his home address all the time, and had "completely forgotten" about being due to court last month.
Aldridge said he was on medication that affected him; but he had handed himself in at Ely Police Station.
The court fined Aldridge a total of �100 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge, and ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the drug.