Ely Man Fined After Police Drugs Search at Hostel
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard. Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis. It was seized and he was arrested, prosecutor Penny Cannon t
AN ILLEGAL drug was handed over to police when they arrived at a hostel in Ely, a court heard.
Thomas Aldridge approached a police car, and when searched he produced a tin containing cannabis.
"It was seized and he was arrested," prosecutor Penny Cannon told city magistrates on Thursday.
Police had gone to the hostel in Wheatsheaf Close around 10pm on February 10, following reports of a man causing a nuisance.
You may also want to watch:
"A man kept visiting, and was turned away on numerous occasions," said Mrs Cannon.
"As police were in the car park, Aldridge walked towards the patrol car. He was searched, and handed over a small metal tin, containing a small amount of cannabis.
- 1 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 2 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 3 Caught on camera: milk thieves strike in the city
- 4 Eight page enforcement notice wrapped round giant cuppa
- 5 Ely Museum team member retires after 16 years' service
- 6 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 7 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 10 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
"It was seized, and he was arrested."
Aldridge, 30, of Wheatsheaf Close, Ely, had been due to appear in court on February 25, but magistrates issued a warrant for his arrest when he failed to appear.
Representing himself in court this week, Aldridge said he was not living at his home address all the time, and had "completely forgotten" about being due to court last month.
Aldridge said he was on medication that affected him; but he had handed himself in at Ely Police Station.
The court fined Aldridge a total of �100 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge, and ordered the forfeiture and destruction of the drug.