Ely Man Embarking On Year-Long Trip Across Africa To Raise Money For Unicef
OLIVER Stevens of Ely is today embarking on a solo year-long trip across Africa to raise money for UNICEF. Oliver will be travelling through Africa in a 4x4 vehicle which left Ely early this morning (October 8), heading for France and the first stage of h
OLIVER Stevens of Ely is today embarking on a solo year-long trip across Africa to raise money for UNICEF.
Oliver will be travelling through Africa in a 4x4 vehicle which left Ely early this morning (October 8), heading for France and the first stage of his journey. From France, Oliver plans to travel to Italy, Tunis, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and finally to Cape Town in South Africa.
Oliver sells health and sports food for Cambridge Commodities and is taking time out from his job to help people suffering from famine and the effects of war. His employers have pledged to match every penny Oliver raises for the charity.
"This is something I've always wanted to do and most people think I'm crazy", said Oliver, as he left Ely behind him. "It is more necessary than ever that I make this trip now to raise money for people in drought affected and war-torn areas."
You may also want to watch:
Oliver has been planning the trip for the past seven or eight months and is hoping to raise more than �5,000. You can pledge your donations online at supportunicef.org.uk/overland_africa.
You can keep in touch with Oliver via his website at www.overlandafrica.wordpress.com
- 1 BBC camera crews hosted by Ely Business Park during Boat Race
- 2 Wildlife-loving boy, 9, saves six abandoned ducklings
- 3 Sheep saved after taking short-cut on busy rail line
- 4 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 5 More anti-Semitic graffiti appears in Ely
- 6 Bodybuilding world champion raises £540 ahead of charity beauty pageant
- 7 'We plotted our downfall' admits boss after five-goal cup thriller
- 8 Artist's poignant painting in memory of HRH Prince Philip
- 9 Charity chief executive raises £646 by running 252 miles in 71 days
- 10 Letters: Bishop's prayer, bell salute, litter problems and search for family
Pic cap: 4022HD1009: Oliver Stevens set to leave town with his 4x4 which is kitted out for a journey covering thousands of miles of the most hostile territory on the planet.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE