Ely Man Embarking On Year-Long Trip Across Africa To Raise Money For Unicef
OLIVER Stevens of Ely is today embarking on a solo year-long trip across Africa to raise money for UNICEF. Oliver will be travelling through Africa in a 4x4 vehicle which left Ely early this morning (October 8), heading for France and the first stage of h
OLIVER Stevens of Ely is today embarking on a solo year-long trip across Africa to raise money for UNICEF.
Oliver will be travelling through Africa in a 4x4 vehicle which left Ely early this morning (October 8), heading for France and the first stage of his journey. From France, Oliver plans to travel to Italy, Tunis, Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and finally to Cape Town in South Africa.
Oliver sells health and sports food for Cambridge Commodities and is taking time out from his job to help people suffering from famine and the effects of war. His employers have pledged to match every penny Oliver raises for the charity.
"This is something I've always wanted to do and most people think I'm crazy", said Oliver, as he left Ely behind him. "It is more necessary than ever that I make this trip now to raise money for people in drought affected and war-torn areas."
Oliver has been planning the trip for the past seven or eight months and is hoping to raise more than �5,000. You can pledge your donations online at supportunicef.org.uk/overland_africa.
You can keep in touch with Oliver via his website at www.overlandafrica.wordpress.com
- 1 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 2 Councillor quits as voters get set for two Ely by-elections
- 3 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 4 Caravan site wants 10 new lodges to cope with demand
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 Warwick Davis and daughter Annabelle cut the ribbon at special opening
- 7 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 Insurers to pay for £725,000 house replacement
- 10 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
Pic cap: 4022HD1009: Oliver Stevens set to leave town with his 4x4 which is kitted out for a journey covering thousands of miles of the most hostile territory on the planet.
Photo: HELEN DRAKE